Posted to the Facebook group AIDA International by the AIDA Secretary Carla Hanson on 26 March 2015 (edited for readability):
Important Information about the new Competition Rules Project
As discussed, we will start to pilot Google Docs for the AIDA competition rule updates.
The aim of this pilot project is to quicken and simplify the Aida rules update process while improving the quality of the rules. In the past, this has created internal tension within the community, so it is hoped that this new approach will reduce the internal politics and wasted time and energy that has resulted. Aida is the world leader in apnea activities and we need to behave accordingly.
There are three levels of user rights in the Aida Google Docs:
1. Management group (the Technical Committee), lead by Antero Joki (FIN, AIDA Technical Officer) and supported by Chris Marshall (NZL), Pavlína Procházková (CZE) and Jody Fisher (AUS). Their responsibility is to manage this work and give technical support whenever needed.
2. AIDA Assembly members. Any Assembly full member who wishes to be involved needs only to provide a Google Apps or Gmail address (free) in order to be granted access (following the Assembly member list at Aida website—Observer members may send comments to the Technical Officer). This will allow comments to be traced, both for discussion/follow-up and to prevent anonymous comments from derailing the process. The responsibility of the Assembly members is to comment on rules; suggesting changes, additions or removals. Commented rule chapters will be updated by the management group after the close of the commenting period and added to an Assembly vote. Any parts that have not received comments will not be included in the Assembly vote and will not be changed.
3. Read-only access. The documents will be available to view, including all comments, to anyone with the link to the document.
This process will contain 5 distinct phases:
1. Commenting period: supervised by mgmt group and executed by the Assembly group. This period starts now and will end on 31 May 2015 at 20.00 CET.
2. Initial Document cleaning period (A) Review of suggested rule changes. In preparation for the Assembly vote, lead by Antero Joki. This period starts on 1 June 2015 and ends on 30 June 2015 at 20.00 CET.
3. Assembly review period, lead by Aida Board. This period starts on 1 July 2015 and ends on 31 July 2015 at 20.00 CET.
4. Assembly vote period, lead by Aida Board. This period starts on 1 August 2015 and ends on 31 August 2015 at 20.00 CET.
5. Final document cleaning period (B) Containing the agreed changes in the rules, lead by Antero Joki. Starts on 1 September 2014 and ends 31 October 2015 at 20.00 CET.
6. Agreed Rules come into force 1 January 2016.
I want to emphasize that this tool and process will be piloted this year; then we will decide if we will replace the current process with the new approach, based on the outcome. It is likely that we will learn from this pilot program and some changes may be adopted while others may need modifications.
1. Please read the Aida rule update user policy and update guidelines (see above).
3. Please review our current rules and tech doc (see above), and comment once you have provided us an email address and have been granted access.
Last but not least: I rely on all our Assembly members to remember to act respectfully in this process and to keep the conversations and comments constructive and civilized.
Looking forward to see some good results from this process.
President, AIDA International